This workshop was organized by the Vietnam National Commission for UNESCO, in cooperation with the Ha Giang Provincial People’s Committee on 18-19th June 2016 in the town of Dong Van district of Dong Van Karst Plateau – the UNESCO Global Geopark, under the chairmanship coordinates of:
- Le Hoai Trung, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, Chairman of Vietnam National Commission for UNESCO;
- Nguyen Van Son, Chairman of Ha Giang PPC;
More than 100 other delegates from the ministries, sectors and locals all over the country attended the conference, including:
- Trieu Tai Vinh, Ha Giang Provincial Party Secretary;
- Nguyen Linh Ngoc, Deputy Minister of Natural Resources and Environment;
- Chairmen & Deputy Chairmen of the provinces of Cao Bang, Bac Kan, Tuyen Quang, Son La, Quang Ngai, Gia Lai, Phu Yen, Dak Nong and Dong Nai and corresponding representatives from the DOFA, DONRE, DOCST;
- Representatives of the Ministry of Culture, Sport and Tourism, Ministry of Education and Training, Ministry of Science and Technology, Ministry of Information and Communication, and heads of various sub-committees of the Vietnam National Commission for UNESCO;
- Representatives of research and management institutions, such as the Vietnam Institute of Geosciences and Mineral Resources (VIGMR), General Department of Geology and Minerals of Vietnam (also Head of Technical Sub-committee of IGCP Vietnam), Vietnam Nature Museum (under the Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology), Vietnam Man and Biosphere Reserve National Committee, General Department of Environment, affiliated departments Human Resources, Science and Technology, International Cooperation etc. of the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment;
- Representatives of the Management Board of the Dong Van Karst Plateau – UNESCO Global Geopark and the districts concerned;
- Secretariat of Vietnam National Commission for UNESCO;
- Representatives of mass media, Televisions, newspapers, radio, etc.
The workshop listened to reports and discussed the following matters:
- Decision No. 1590/QD-TTg dated 09/09/2014 of the Prime Minister on approval of the project ”Geoheritage Conservation, Geopark Network Development and Management in Vietnam from 2014 to 2020 and vision to 2030”;
- Decision No. 82/QD-UBQG-UNESCO dated 16/06/2016 by Chairman of the Vietnam National Commission for UNESCO on the establishment of the Technical Subcommittee on Global Geopark under Vietnam National Commission for UNESCO, which appointed Director of VIGMR as head of the sub-committee;
- The development of Global Geopark from an UNESCO-supported initiative into an official UNESCO’s program, its requirements, criteria, procedures, etc.;
- The formation and development of the Dong Van Karst Plateau Global Geopark;
- The formation of new aspiring geoparks in Dak Nong, Quang Ngai, Cao Bang, Gia Lai, Phu Yen, Bac Kan and Tuyen Quang and subsequent orientation;
- The proposal to establish the National Geoheriatge and Geopark Appraisal Council under the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment;
- Recommendation to supplement and revise the Law on Cultural Heritage to encompass also other international titles such as Geopark, MAB, Ramsar etc.;
- Establishment of Vietnam Geopark Network, including the Dong Van Karst Plateau Global Geopark and the newly formed aspiring Geoparks as above mentioned;
- Preparatory work for the participation of the Vietnam Geoparks at the UNESCO International Conference on Global Geopark, which is expected to take place in the UK in September 2016;
- A draft decree on the protection and management of the World Heritage sites of Vietnam;
Introduction on Man and Biosphere Programme in Vietnam.
National Workshop on “Building National Geopark Network and Geopark Management Model in Vietnam”
Mr. Nguyen Trung Thao, Vice-Chairman of Cao Bang Province, deputy chairman of the Cao Bang Aspiring Geopark Steering Committee delivering a speech at the workshop.
As a side-event a 3-day training course on Geoheritage and Geopark, was held in cooperation between VIGMR and the Management Board of the Dong Van Karst Plateau Geopark, with the participation of more than 50 attendees from various agencies and localities.
Launching of the training course on “Development and management of Geopark Network in Vietnam, Opportunities and Challenges”
The aforementioned events were broadcast on central and local radio and television systems.